EPSRC Defence and Security DTP Opportunity
The EPSRC funding for the Defence and Security pilot was limited to two cohorts. However, due to sustained interest in the programme and its flexible approach to doctoral study, we have decided to facilitate further cohorts. These positions would need to be funded by your employer, or self-funded.
Please note that:
- The places for 2023 are offered to applicants who can self – fund or be sponsored by their organisation.
- The aspiration of the university is to look for funding sources to support the next cohort.
However, this is an excellent opportunity, and the candidates would get many of the resources available as outlined in the brochure and below.
Although the cohorts will offer many of the benefits and opportunities of the funded Mobility DTP cohorts, it is important to be clear that at present not all the linked benefits previously on offer would be available. For example, you may have been aware that the pilot Mobility DTP places offered support around the recruitment process and the potential for childcare costs during training activities. These benefits were strictly associated with the funding received from EPSRC for the pilot scheme and are not currently supported for future cohorts.
However, there would still be many other excellent benefits that will be naturally delivered by working alongside the DTP students, DTP Management Team, and academic colleagues:
• Opportunities to engage with other students from the D&S sector who are in the early stages of their research and have first-hand knowledge and experience of taking on a PhD part-time alongside their “day job”.
• Opportunities to benefit from the full range of training activities and events organised by the DTP, such as research conferences, internal symposia and knowledge-exchange with key academic and industry partners and renowned speakers linked in various ways to the DTP.
• Opportunities to work within the University of Southampton’s expanding D&S Nexus with its interests and reach in shaping future innovation, technology, and policy.
• The opportunity to pursue doctoral level study following the innovative and flexible modular approach that has been developed within the Pilot DTP and provides a route through PhD research training that aligns with the requirements of part-time study alongside a role in the D&S sector.
Please get in contact with the DTP if you’d like to discuss this opportunity further.